Best Betis Players: The Real Betis Balompié is a very traditional football club, with a lot of history and a loyal and legendary hobby. Despite not being a historically winning club and having suffered great falls, they have managed to get up and return to elite football thanks to the presence of great players and coaches.
Therefore, today, we wanted to review the best players in the history of the Betic institution. Each and every one of these players has been in charge, in one way or another, to leave their permanent mark on the club.
However, our choice is not intended to be considered an absolute truth. For this reason, we invite all our Betic readers and Spanish soccer fans to comment on their choices. Have we left someone out? Let us know in the comment box.
Best Betis Players in History
Let us know who your 10 favorite players are and let’s have a respectful discussion!
10. Julio Cardeñosa
The player who opens the top 10 is none other than Julio Cardeñosa. This midfielder defended the Real Betis shirt from 1974 to 1985, becoming one of the players with the most games in the club’s history and, at the time, he was the player with the most games in the club’s history in the First Division.
- Fourth most capped player in club history (337 matches)
- Winner of the 1977 Copa del Rey
9. Hipólito Rincón Povedano
The player who receives the ninth place in our ranking is none other than Poli Rincón Povedano. This great player born in Madrid left a great memory at Benito Villamarín despite arriving a bit late at the institution. He played 8 seasons with Betis and retired dressed in green and white, which has made him a club legend.
In general, he is remembered for his scoring ability and for the effort he made in each game to take Betis to the top. Therefore, despite not having managed to win any title with the club, he did manage to win individual trophies and break some records in the institution:
- At the time, Betis’ historical top scorer in the First Division
- Pichichi winner in season 82/83
- Twenty-second player with the most games in the history of Betis (223)
- Betis’ fourth historical scorer (93 goals)
8. Francisco González “Paquirri” (†)
The eighth player in our ranking is the legendary forward Paquirri. This player from the decade of the 30s defended the shirt of the Verdiblanco club for more than 10 seasons, becoming one of the most legendary players of the institution.
Although it is true that he never managed to win any title with the club, his goalscoring contributions kept the club among the main professional categories of Spanish sport.
- Paquirri was one of the few players in the history of the club who has played in the three divisions of professional football with Betis
- Second historical scorer for Real Betis Balompié (109 goals)
7. Rubén Castro
Rubén Castro is one of the few players in this ranking who are still active. However, unfortunately, this Spanish striker is no longer under the discipline of the Betic club, so he will no longer be able to continue increasing his scoring records.
Again, we find a player who has left his mark on the institution but has not been able to lift any collective title. However, if he has managed to lift some individual titles. Among many other things, Rubén Castro will always be remembered as one of the best strikers in the club’s history for his scoring contributions:
- Historic top scorer for Real Betis Balompié (147)
- 16th player with the most appearances in club history (250)
- Winner of the Second Division Zarra trophy (2015)
- Trophy for the top scorer of the Spanish Second Division in the 2014/2015 season
6. Simon Lecue (†)
The player that we would like to highlight in the sixth position of this ranking is the legendary Simón Lecue. This great player was part of the Betic team that managed to lift the only First Division title in the club’s history. Also, at the time, he was considered one of the best players in the world in his position.
Among his main achievements as a Betis footballer we can highlight:
- Champion of the First Division of Spain 1935
5. Rafael Gordillo
The top 5 of the best players in the history of Real Betis Balompié is opened by Rafael Gordillo. This great player could perform on the field of play both as a defender and as a midfielder. This same versatility and his love for colors led him to be considered one of the best Spanish players of the moment.
Proof of this were his constant nominations for the Ballon d’Or and his individual recognitions. Among its main achievements, milestones and brands we can highlight the following:
- Third player with the most games in the history of Real Betis Balompié (343)
- In his record the Copa del Rey of 77 tends to appear but he was not officially champion of that tournament.
- Best player in the Spanish League for Don Balon Magazine (1980)
In spite of that, the fans of the Betic club hold him in very high esteem and he is always remembered with great affection despite having been a highly questioned player. With the Andalusian club he failed to break any special mark. However, he did achieve what many other players in this ranking did not: win a major title with Real Betis Balompié.
- Champion of the Copa del Rey (2004/2005)
- World Champion with Brazil (2002) as a Betis player
- Thirty-second (32) player with the most appearances in club history (182)
3. Rogelio Sosa (†)
The top three of our ranking is opened by another legend of the Verdiblanca institution: Rogelio Sosa. Born on April 15, 1943 in Seville, Rogelio Sosa was a Betis at heart until his death on March 21, 2019. He defended the Betis shirt for 16 seasons and became one of the main idols of the fans.
During the sixteen years that he wore the Verdiblanca shirt, he managed to leave his mark on the club permanently with some unique records, recognitions and achievements:
- Champion of the Copa del Rey 1977
- Pioneer in achieving Olympic Goals in Spain
- Ninth player with the most games in the history of Betis (300)
- Fifth historic scorer for Real Betis Balompié (90)
2. Joaquín Sánchez
Joaquín Sánchez is a player who does not need any introduction these days. This legendary 39-year-old player is, without a doubt, one of the greatest legends in the history of Betis.
Despite having left the club and not having managed to stand out much outside of Andalusia, Joaquín worked his way to become one of the best of all time for Real Betis.
Currently, he is still present in the team’s squad and continues to increase his legend game by game. Among its achievements we highlight:
- Champion of the Copa del Rey 2004/2005
- Betis’ tenth historic scorer (60)
- Player with the most games in the history of Betis (448)
- Second player with the most matches in the history of the Spanish First Division (569)
1. José Ramón Esnaola
Finally, for us, José Ramón Esnaola is the player who deserves the title of best player in the club’s history. This legendary goalkeeper defended the Verdiblanco club for 12 seasons and managed to leave his mark on the club’s history.
Currently, he is considered one of the best players in the history of the institution and his numbers, titles and statistics support him. Already retired, he continued to be linked to the club, forming part of the coaching staff and as a goalkeeping coach. Among its main achievements, brands and records we can highlight the following:
- Champion of the Copa del Rey 1977.
- Second player with the most games in the history of Betis (378).
- Key player in the 77th Cup final by stopping three penalties and scoring the winning goal.