Health Benefits of Vitamin C: The health benefits of Vitamin C, also known as Ascorbic Acid, include the prevention and treatment of scurvy, common cold, lead poisoning and has anti-cancer potential.
It strengthens the immune system, lowers high blood pressure, heals cataracts, fights strokes, maintains the elasticity of the skin, heals wounds and relieves asthma symptoms.
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is one of the most effective and safest nutrients. It is a water-soluble vitamin and a powerful antioxidant in collagen synthesis that helps strengthen blood vessels and muscles. It must therefore be ingested through food and other food supplements.
Important Sources of Vitamin C:
The main sources of vitamin C are citrus fruits (Oranges and Grapes) And Also
- Other leafy Vegetables
- Brussels sprouts
- Mange tugs and kiwi fruits are also rich in this vitamin.
Cooking food at low temperatures and for a shorter period of time is important in order to keep vitamin C preserved and beneficial.
Health Benefits of Vitamin C:
The health benefits of this amazing antioxidant are detailed below:
- 1. Treats Cold: A 2013 report published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews suggests that ascorbic acid boosts our body’s immune system and protects us from colds and coughs. The study also showed that when taken regularly, vitamin C shortened the duration of colds. It also facilitates the absorption of iron and thus strengthens the body’s resistance to infection. It also fights viruses.
- 2. Lowers Hypertension: People with high blood pressure are at high risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. According to a 2012 research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vitamin C – absorption helps the body lower blood pressure in the short term.
- 3. Prevents Scurvy: Insufficient intake of ascorbic acid caused Scurvy. The symptoms of scurvy occur when connective tissues, bones, and blood vessels that contain collagen become weakened. Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, is needed for collagen production.
- 4. Treats Lead Toxicity: Lead toxicity is a serious health problem that primarily affects children, particularly in urban areas. Some children exposed to lead have been found to develop and grow abnormally. They develop behavioral problems, learning difficulties, and are also prone to low IQ. Vitamin C supplements can lower blood levels.
- 5. Acts as a Powerful Vasodilator Antioxidant: Treatment with vitamin C has resulted in the proper dilation of blood vessels effectively in cases of atherosclerosis, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, angina and high blood pressure. Dr. Melissa A. Moser, University of Connecticut, USA, conducted epidemiological research on vitamin C in her 2016 report published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences to investigate its possible role in cardiovascular disease. The results have shown that the supplements of this vitamin improve blood vessel dilation and protect cardiovascular health.
- 6. Anti-Cancer Potential: According to the National Cancer Institute, some clinical studies have shown that cancer patients given high doses of vitamin C have an improved quality of life and fewer side effects. However, other studies say it is better to avoid this treatment until the effects are fully studied.
- 7. Treats Cataracts (Eye Disease): Cataracts are the most common conditions of visual disturbance. A decrease in the level of vitamin C in the lens of the human eye has been noted more often when cataracts are present. Excessive intake of ascorbic acid increases blood flow to the eye area of the body.
- 8. Boosts Immunity: Immunity is another important benefit of this vitamin. Vitamin C is widely known for its contribution to the immune system and its stimulation of the white blood vessels in the body.
- 9. Fight Against Stroke: Vitamin C helps reduce the risk of stroke, a type of cardiovascular disease. A diet full of vegetables and fruits will provide a good amount of this vitamin that will help maintain adequate blood pressure. It also protects the body from free radicals that could be the cause of the stroke.
- 10. Improves Your Mood: Vitamin C plays a key role in the production of neurotransmitters like norepinephrine. They affect a person’s mood and are critical to the proper functioning of the brain.
- 11. Manages Diabetes: One of the main reasons for diabetes , as found in various studies, is low levels of ascorbic acid. Vitamin C supplements are beneficial for treating diabetes because they help with the processing of insulin and glucose.
- 12. Repairs Wounds: Vitamin C helps wound healing. It promotes the growth of connective tissue and accelerates the healing process of wounds.
- 13. Controls Asthma: Ascorbic acid relieves the symptoms of asthma. It protects against the harmful effects of pollution on the human body, which often lead to asthma-like symptoms.
- 14. Prevents Heart Disease: Getting enough ascorbic acid is important to protect blood vessels from damage that can be caused by free radicals. This could be a leading cause of a heart condition called atherosclerosis. Vitamin C helps prevent this heart disease as well as various other heart problems.