Hockey World Cup Winners: The Hockey World Cup is an international field hockey competition run by the International Hockey Federation (FIH). The Hockey World Cup competition started in 1971. The first two competitions were held with a gap of 2 years, but later this interval was reduced to four years. Hence, this competition is held every four years from 1975 onwards
Important Facts Related to Hockey:
- Pakistan holds the record for the most goals in any one World Cup.(38 1982).
- Australia has won 51 matches in the World Cup, which is a world record.
- So far 24 teams have participated in the Hockey World Cup, out of which only Germany,India, Netherlands and Spain have participated in each World Cup.
- Pakistan has won the World Cup the most times (four times).
- India last won a hockey gold medal at the Olympic Games in 1980 in Moscow.
2018 Hockey World Cup (Men’s):
Men’s Hockey World Cup 2018 was organized between 28 November to 16 December 2018 in Bhubaneswar, the capital of the Indian state of Odisha. It was the 14th edition of the Hockey World Cup and a total of 16–16 teams participated in both the men’s and women’s sections this year. Olympic silver winner Belgium beat three-time champions Holland 3–2 in a thrilling shoot-out played on 16 December 2018 to win the title for the first time in the Hockey World Cup tournament. The match is tie with both teams tied 2–2, later Belgium won their first ever world champions by winning the game at the Sudden Death.
Hockey World Cup Winners List: