Avengers: Endgame broke all cinema records. But which Marvel films are planned for 2021 and later? We take a look into the near and distant future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the beginning of phase 4 and 5. +++ Update: Further postponements, Black Widow at Disney Plus +++
The 22nd film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a complete success: “Avengers: Endgame” even succeeded in displacing the previous leader “Avatar” from number 1 on the list of the best-selling films of all time (not adjusted for inflation). And the following MCU title, “Spider-Man: Far From Home”, set some records.
So there is no question that the Marvel film series will continue after the supposed finale. Both Marvel Studios themselves and other film studios have announced further projects with characters from Marvel Comics.
In this article gives an overview of what Marvel movies are planned for 2021 and the future.
We regularly update our overview according to the latest state of knowledge.
The Marvel Cinematic Universe:
The following films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe have already been officially announced or confirmed by cast reports.
- Black Widow , Release date: 08 July 2021 (also at Disney +)
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings , theatrical release: September 03, 2021
- The Eternals , release date: November 4th, 2021
- Spider-Man: No Way Home , theatrical release: expected December 16, 2021
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness , opening March 25, 2022
- Thor: Love and Thunder , theatrical release: May 5th, 2022
To what extent “Morbius” (theatrical release: January 21, 2022) is not yet certain. However, the signs currently seem to point to this. More about this in the news below.
Marvel films Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (probably not until 2023), Blade, Black Widow 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania are expected. Which film will receive which date has not yet been determined.
Expected to be seen after phase 5:
- Fantastic Four
- Deadpool 3
Deadpool 3 will officially appear as part of the MCU following Disney’s takeover of 20th Century.
As Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige said in an interview, we have to be patient until “Avengers 5” . For now, the focus is on the next MCU single films. Here one seems to reflect on the virtues of phase 1. The first “Avengers” was preceded by five individual films, which made the meeting of the heroes even more spectacular.
New Marvel Series launch on Disney + in 2021
These TV or streaming series of the Marvel Cinematic Universe have been announced. After the end of the license deal with Netflix, they will start on the new streaming service Disney +.
- The Falcon and Winter Soldier, on Disney +, since March 19, 2021
- Loki , on Disney + starting June 11, 2021
- What If …? , on Disney + from summer 2021
- Hawkeye , on Disney + in Fall 2021
- Ms. Marvel , on Disney +, in late 2021
- She-Hulk on Disney +, expected in 2022
- Moon Knight on Disney +, expected in 2022
- Secret Invasion on Disney +
- Armor Wars on Disney +
- Ironheart on Disney +
- nameless Wakanda series at Disney +
In addition to the already officially confirmed reports on upcoming Marvel series, there are also some TV and streaming titles that have only been rumored to date for the future. Marvel and Disney are also said to be working on series with the characters Jessica Jones and Ghost Rider, as well as on a Hawkeye spinoff called Echo.
Upcoming Marvel Films From Other Studios:
Not all upcoming Marvel films are part of the MCU – like the X-Men films . The following films based on Marvel templates are currently announced:
- Venom – Let There be Carnage , Release: September 17, 2021
- Morbius theatrical release: January 21, 2022 to the trailer
- Sequel to Spider-Man: A New Universe , US theatrical release: April 8, 2022
- Spin-off for Spider-Man: A New Universe , still without an appointment
Sony is also planning a new Spider-Man TV series from the makers of Spider-Man: A New Universe. Whether this is the series “Silk” , also presented as an Amazon Exclusive , is likely, but not yet confirmed.